The conjunctiva is a mucous membrane, which extends from the
undersurface of the lids & stretching upto the anterior part of
the eyeball, an infection or inflammation to Conjunctiva is known
If the 3 bodily humors like Vata, Pitta & Kapha get vitiated by
causative factors, they affect the covering thin layer of the eyes
& there by causing “Abhishyanda” a painful condition of the eyes.
1) Infective Conjunctivitis – This is due to an infection of
the conjunctiva by microbial agents like bacteria, viruses’ etc.
2) Allergic Conjunctivitis – This is due to hypersensitive
reaction of the conjunctiva by non specific agents like dust,
smoke, pollens etc.
Discomfort & foreign body sensation in the eyes
Redness of the eyes
Photophobia i.e. difficulty to tolerate light
Sticking together of the lid margins due to profuse discharge.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Amla (Emblica Officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Baheda (Terminalia Belerica)
- Nirmali (Strychnos potatorum)
Pungent and sour articles of food like
spices, pickles and curd are contra-indicated.
Avoid food , which cause constipation and
Fried things are not useful
cow’s ghee is considered to be very
- Isolation & avoidance of the causative factor
- Avoid sun exposure, protection of eyes by sunglass
- Washing the eyes at regular interval with cold water /
- Avoid viewing Television or running computer for a long