The frustration of organizing all the food and dinner arrangements; the eye-rolling when your relatives ask why you aren’t married yet; and the cringing when your uncle breaks out in song, missing all the notes. With all the tension, stress and button-pushing that happens during the holidays, the holidays might as well not be holidays at all. Anxiety and stress from the holidays can lead to short tempers, sleep disturbances, headaches, muscle pain, loss of appetite and fatigue.
For better or worse, the holiday season is filled with family, friends and a whole lot of chaos. While the former can’t always be avoided, you can still deal with the latter. Learning to cope with the holiday stress just involves implementing a few stress management techniques with the help of Ayurveda. With Ayurvedic stress management techniques, you can actually enjoy the fun and merry part of the holiday season, while diffusing issues before they snowball into a full-blown meltdown.
- Deep breathing: That's right, take a few breaths in and let them out. Deep breathing helps to immediately resolve stress in the mind. When you make it a part of your daily practice, it becomes as easy as just exhaling and releasing stress buildup before it becomes a major issue.
- Meditation: It's is one of the best ways to clear and calm the mind. With a mind that's at peace and ease, stress management is a piece of cake. Meditation will help you become more responsive rather than reactive. Don't have the time? As little as five minutes a day is enough for getting the ball rolling and building momentum for controlling that monkey mind.
- Focus on the bigger picture: When you stand back and see the bigger picture of things, don't a lot of issues seem trivial and not worthy of your time and energy? Put things into perspective and see things from all aspects will help you evaluate how to effectively resolve or deal with a situation on hand.
- Get high on energy: When you keep your energy at higher levels, you have the capacity to handle situations with a more positive perspective. How to obtain this mysterious high energy levels? Just the simple basics- drink tonnes of water, eat fresh fruits and veggies, and get enough sleep.
- Chill out and tune out: When you can, stop whatever you're doing and take a break when you feel overwhelmed. You'll feel refreshed to deal with things better once your mental balance is restored.
- Massage yourself: Abhyanga is the ancient Ayurvedic method of massaging self-massage using oil. Massage helps to calm the nervous system while simultaneously boosting circulation and rejuvenating the tissues of the body. Use any organic oil such as olive, sesame or jojoba and slightly warm it before massaging into your skin for 10 minutes or so, before taking a shower. If you can't do a whole body massage, you can even massage your feet right before going to bed to feel relaxed and calm.
- Natural herbal supplements: Ayurveda has a number of all-natural herbs and supplements that are perfect for alleviating stress. Ashwagandha is one of the best adaptogens available, which helps your body adapt in response to dealing with stress. Gotu kola is a cooling tonic known for its ability to balance the mind and nervous system.