The liver is one of the vital organs of the body. It helps filter unwanted substances and harmful toxins from our system, so it is important to make sure that it works efficiently. The liver is also responsible for numerous functions related to metabolism, storage of nutrients, immunity, and digestion.
Poor lifestyle and an unhealthy diet can put too much work on your liver, making it unable to process fats and toxins properly. Fortunately, many herbs can help rejuvenate and cleanse your liver.
Herbs and How to Use Them for Liver Detox
1. Milk Thistle Seeds
It has been proven that this powerful herb can detoxify and heal the liver. The silymarin compound found in milk thistle is considered as one of the best supplements that promote 0liver health. This compound neutralizes or blocks toxic materials to protect liver cells. It also promotes regeneration and alleviates inflammatory reaction.
- Add 1 tablespoon of crushed milk thistle in three cups of boiling water. Let it steep for 20 minutes and strain. Drink a cup 30 minutes before meals.
- You can also take milk thistle supplements. The recommended dose is anywhere from 200 to 400mg, taken one to three times daily.
2. Dandelion Root
The vitamins and essential nutrients in dandelion help in detoxifying the liver. Consumption of this herb stimulates bile flow. Herbalists often use dandelion to combat fatty liver, estrogen dominance, cirrhosis, and skin problems like acne.
- Separate the roots from stems, flowers, and leaves. Rinse under cool water.
- Bring one-quarter of water to boil and add two teaspoons of chopped dandelion roots.
- Lower the heat and cover the pan.
- Turn off the stove and let it steep for 40 minutes.
- Strain and serve.
3. Borututu Bark
Borututu bark is effective in combating biliary obstruction, colic, and jaundice. It helps the liver regenerate, making it one of the recommended natural treatments in cases of cirrhosis and fatty liver. Rich in antioxidants, it also contains catechins, quinones, bio-flavonoids, and phenols that neutralize free radicals. Free radicals are a group of highly reactive atoms with an unpaired electron.
- Add two tablespoons of Borututu in one liter of hot water. Let it steep for 1 hour or overnight and strain.
- Another option is to take one or two Borututu capsules with a glass of water or juice.
Another useful liver-detoxifying herb is turmeric. The curcumin compounds in this herb induce the formation of glutathione S-transferase, a liver detoxification enzyme.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in two cups of water and bring this to boil. Drink this concoction two times daily.
- Consider adding this spice in your meals to reap the health benefits of turmeric.
5. Chicory Root
Chicory root has been known for its ability to support proper function of the liver. This medicinal herb can be used for treating liver problems and related symptoms such as gout, liver and gallbladder stones, urinary stones, jaundice, rheumatism, and constipation. Here’s how to use chicory root for liver cleanse.
- Add two tablespoons of ground and roasted chicory root in three to four cups of water.
- Bring this to boil. Alternatively, you can use a coffee maker.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes before straining.
- You can also add cinnamon powder and natural sweetener to taste.
- Enjoy this tea while it is still warm.
Peppermint is one of the most effective herbs for liver-cleanse as it relaxes bile ducts and stimulates bile flow. It lessens the workload of the liver by breaking down fats and reducing bad cholesterol. Peppermint also calms the stomach and inhibits blockages in the gallbladder and kidney.
- Add seven to ten peppermint leaves in 8 ounces of water. Bring this to boil and let it cool down a bit. Add lemon or honey to taste.
- Another option is to place one peppermint teabag in a mug and pour hot water carefully. Cover and let it steep for 3 to 10 minutes.
7. Oregon Grape Root
This herb is renowned among herbalists for its ability to enhance bile flow, stimulate liver function, and cleanse the blood. It can be used for treating jaundice, cirrhosis, hepatitis, and other digestive problems.
- Boil one to three teaspoons of chopped oregon grape root in two cups of water. After 15 minutes, strain and let it cool down a bit. Drink three cups of this concoction daily.
- As a tincture, you can consume a half teaspoon of this herb three times a day.
We often overlook our liver until health problems arise. Because this organ is responsible for excretion, detoxification, circulation, and hormone regulation, it is important to know natural herbs that help cleanse and revitalize the liver. In addition to these herbs, eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water.