Depression is a result of various external circumstances that cause internal emotional imbalance. While the effects of this disease can range from exhaustion to anxiety and sadness, it is estimated that around 5% of the global population is suffering from it.
Strengthening the Sadhaka Pitta, a major Pitta subdosha responsible for processing emotions will help you deal with depression. It will also allow you to maximize the happiness and the feeling of contentment in your life.
The treatment starts with you, and here are the basic natural methods for overcoming depression.
1. Practice Healthy Diet
Rajasic (pungent) and sattvic (wholesome) foods can alleviate your Kapha, mind-body imbalance, which correlates with depression. Practicing a wholesome diet free of processed, packaged, canned, and inorganic foods is crucial. Pasture-based meats, low-fat dairy products, organically grown vegetables and fruits, and nuts are allowed and recommended.
Herbs also play a huge role in fighting depression. The right ones will help you calm your mind and balance emotional distress. Here are the top 5 natural antidepressant herbs:
To bring out the best of Rajasic diet, include the following spices in your dishes:
2. Indulge in Yoga
Yoga is a perfect natural solution for getting rid of depression. It will free your body and mind from negativity and tension.
1. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend): This position is said to heal the mind by relieving depression in a matter of minutes.
2. Ustrasana (Camel Pose): By physically opening yourself during this position, emotions are able to surface and detox your mind.
3. Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend): This pose is capable of relieving mild depression, anxiety, fatigue, and headaches. It also helps the brain to calm down and stimulates digestion.
While doing yoga, allow yourself some breaks and treat your body with Amla juice, which is excellent for boosting your energy levels and relieving depression.
3. Exercise Inner Smile Meditation
This meditation form helps you send out positive vibes throughout your body. This is done by smiling internally – distributing attention to each body part individually.
Allow yourself at least 20 minutes for this exercise. Here are the instructions:
- Begin by focusing on your feet. From there, spread the awareness separately into each of the toes.
- From feet up, continue to focus on other body parts. Every time you encounter a new body part, breathe deeply and hold your breath before exhaling. Make sure to ‘smile’ into (send energy) to each part before moving on to the next.
- Give exceptional attention to the center of your heart and the belly.
- Once you are done with all body parts, end the exercise by ‘smiling’ into your mind and become alert of your non-physical state.
4. Practice Detachment
The negative emotions and toxic binds remain until the affected person comes up with emotional resolution. No matter how traumatic the experience, resolve is necessary to move on. If left intact, the negativity builds up within us until its weight becomes too heavy to carry and drains all of our energy.
Depression is a serious condition backed by unpleasant symptoms. Fortunately, it can be naturally alleviated with the help of Ayurvedic solutions. From adjusting your diet to practicing yoga and meditation, many methods can help you get rid of depression for good!