Our body’s immune system, which relies heavily on white blood cells, does a great job in defending us against foreign substances and germs. When a harmful microorganism invades, it can lead to sickness and infections. Suffering from colds or flu will result in low productivity and may also affect your personal life and relationships.
By changing your lifestyle and eating healthy food, you can boost your immune system and keep diseases at bay.
Check out small things that you can incorporate into your daily regimen to strengthen your immunity.
Select Food Wisely
Many people become mindful of what they eat only after they have encountered severe health problems. Do not wait for illnesses or injuries to take over rather adopt a healthy diet.
- Eat more citrus fruits – Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, limes, and other citrus fruits contain high level of vitamin C, which is essential in increasing white blood cell count and building up immunity.
- Choose healthy fats – Eat unsaturated fats and avoid saturated fats. Good fats are found in olive, soybean, cottonseed, and sallflower
- Limit sugar intake – The consumption of sugar impairs the ability of white blood cells to combat harmful microorganisms.
- Eat protein – Your immune system cannot function properly without enough protein. Include vegetables, eggs, meat, and dairy in your diet.
- Enjoy oily fish – Mackerel, herring, and sardines contain a high level of protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Immune-boosting foods – Many different foods can help in strengthening your immune system such as yogurt, garlic, kale, navy beans, reishi mushrooms, and green tea.
Adopt Healthy Lifestyle
To make sure that your body’s first line of defense stays strong, you will need to adopt healthy-living strategies that benefit your overall health.
Keeping your body moving promotes heart health. It also reduces the risk of developing certain diseases such as osteoporosis, heart disease, and cancer. By enhancing blood circulation through all parts of the body, exercises help excrete unwanted substances from the body and aid the function of the immune system.
Stress affects the immune system negatively. It is also linked to various health conditions such as depression, hair loss, skin problems, etc. Reducing stress levels can be done by involving in relaxing activities like listening to music, meditating, singing, and dancing.
Drink Plenty of Water
Not drinking enough water is one of the common causes of urinary tract infection and kidney stones. It is important to keep the body hydrated at all times to make sure that all systems are functioning properly. Consume at least eight glasses of water daily and avoid quenching your thirst with coffee, soda, tea, or alcohol.
Get Enough Sleep
Our body needs to get enough sleep to function at its best. This gives our body enough time to recharge and repair tissues for the next day. Lack of sleep can lead to severe medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, and heart diseases.
Smoke and secondhand smoke can damage your immune system and other vital organs. It also increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, and lung cancer.
The above methods are easy to incorporate into your daily routine. By eating a healthy diet and switching to a healthier lifestyle, you can strengthen your immune system. Take enough time to relax, spend time with your family and friends, and attend to your personal needs to boost your physical, emotional, and mental health.