Fritters are like golden bits of potato cake with all the flavor and none of the fuss. You can pan-fry or deep-fry them but if you are looking for healthy breakfast recipes that you are simple to whip up for a relaxed Sunday brunch, it’s best to bake them. Here are some easy fritter recipes that you can make with basic ingredients.
Vegan Very Veggie Fritters
If you are craving for savory crispies without eggs or dairy, these healthy veggie fritters are power packed with healthy seeds, nuts and veggies. What more could you ask for?
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 large cup of corn kernels
- ½ cup coriander, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- Coconut oil to fry with
Soak the chia seeds in the almond milk for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, it should have expanded and become gelatinous. If there is any excess milk, drain it off.
Coarsely grate the carrot.
Mix the vegetables with the coriander, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and spring onion in a large bowl.
Add the oat flour and chia gel till you get a consistency that holds together as a patty.
Shape into small patties. Smear a frying pan with a little coconut oil.
Cook the patties on low heat for 4-5 minutes till golden on each side. Serve with a coriander-mint-lemon chutney.
Golden Corn Fritters
What’s best about corn fritter recipes is that they can be sweet + savory at the same time. Serve them with sweet chili sauce and they offer a tasty crispy contrast.
- 500 g raw sweet corn kernels – about 3 ears of corn
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 generous tablespoons 7-grain flour
Blend one half of the sweet corn kernels with the eggs, salt and pepper in a food processor for 1 minute.
Spoon the sweetcorn puree into a bowl.
Fold in the remaining corn kernels, coriander, capsicum, spring onion and 7-grain flour to make a thick batter.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, ghee or coconut oil in a frying pan over gentle heat.
Drop 2 tablespoons of mixture per fritter into the pan. Cook until firm and golden.
Serve with sweet chili sauce.