The conjunctiva is a mucous membrane, which extends from the undersurface of the lids & stretching upto the anterior part of the eyeball, an infection or inflammation to Conjunctiva is known as conjunctivitis.
1) Infective Conjunctivitis – This is due to an infection of the conjunctiva by microbial agents like bacteria, viruses’ etc.
2) Allergic Conjunctivitis – This is due to hypersensitive reaction of the conjunctiva by non specific agents like dust, smoke, pollens etc.
- Discomfort & foreign body sensation in the eyes
- Redness of the eyes
- Photophobia i.e. difficulty to tolerate light
- Sticking together of the lid margins due to profuse discharge.